Star-Studded Crafts for July Fourth
Jun 15, 2015 04:57AM
● Published by Family Features
Celebrate your independence from another ho-hum summer gathering. Grab your family and friends for an evening of fireworks and a brilliant display of stylish crafts that give pops of red, white and blue.
Patriotic gatherings are a great way to get in some extra bonding time with those closest to you. Whether you opt for a traditional picnic, backyard barbecue or al fresco dinner party, step it up with patriotic themed food bars and chic buffets. You’re sure to receive a burst of compliments when you bring these colorful projects – created by the crafting experts at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores – to the table.
Patriotic Decorative Table Linens
Project by Stef Knaus, thegirlinspired.com, for Jo-Ann
Crafting time: Under 1 hour
Skill level: Some experience necessary
Supplies and Tools:
Fabric for table coverings:
- Quilting cotton
Iron and pressing surface
Basic sewing supplies
- Determine desired size for table linens and cut fabric to size, leaving 1-inch excess on each side for hemming.
- For neatly finished edge (on toweling, for example), hem each raw edge by turning fabric toward wrong side 1/2 inch, iron flat, and then turn 1/2 inch again. Press well with an iron. Sew across turned edge, approximately 3/8 inch from edge, to secure hem in place.
- To add decorative trim to edge of fabric, match right side and raw edge of trim to right side and raw edge of fabric. Stitch using 1/4-inch seam allowance. Turn and press under raw edge of fabric so that remaining portion of trim extends out. Topstitch along edge of fabric to secure trim in place.
- Use hemmed and decorative edge linens as tablecloths and table runners to stage food and beverage tables. Add height to table by stacking books and then draping with decorative table linens. Place cake stands or food trays on top.
For more crafts to light up your Independence Day festivities, visit www.joann.com.