Nostalgic Desserts to Celebrate the Season
Nov 10, 2014 03:42AM
● By Family Features
Fondly reliving the nostalgic memories of years gone by is an integral aspect of many family gatherings and celebrations. This year, relive history in the sweetest way with a dessert table that pays homage to traditions while also helping your family create delicious new memories to cherish.
When your get-together calls for a homemade creation, choose one that brings you back to your childhood days and ask your guests to bring one too. Here are some tips to bring the best to the table:
Build on the basics
- Prepare traditional treats such as homemade fudge, cookies or ice cream. Don't be afraid to mix it up though, such as offering specialty coffee topped with flavored whipped cream.
- Serve a wide variety of options, from finger food snacks and candies to more elaborate cakes and pies. Blend an offering of decadent flavors such as rich chocolate cake with lighter selections like an angel food cake.
- Be sure to stock up on simple ingredients that easily turn ordinary ice cream flavors, like vanilla, into scrumptious treats you can make yourself. When inspiration strikes, layer on a delicious topping or two, such Bosco's new Fudge Brownie or Sea Salt Caramel syrups.
Elicit fond memories
- All desserts have a place if they bring back memories for your family. Dig into grandma's recipe tin for inspiration, or ask relatives to bring desserts or recipes with special meaning to them. Bosco's Chocolate Cream Pie and Whipped Cream recipes are tried and true, dating all the way back to the 1930's Good Housekeeping Institute.
- Make your memories come to life by decorating the dessert table with accents that serve up reminders of the past for your guests. Photos of celebrations through the years or a family heirloom, such as a tablecloth passed through generations, set the stage for an evening filled with sweet remembrances.
- Encourage guests to bring items for the table, showing their memories along with their homemade items.
Of course the centerpiece of any dessert table is a great pie. These simple recipes feature Bosco syrups, available soon at Walmart stores nationwide. Both make for delicious desserts your family will beg you to make for years to come. For more information, visit www.BoscoWorld.com or www.Facebook.com/BoscoChocolate.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images
Bosco Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons Bosco Chocolate Syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Bake according to directions on package.
- Beat egg yolks slightly. Add flour and syrup and stir thoroughly. Place in saucepan and cook on medium-low heat. Add butter and milk gradually, stir constantly, and cook for about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in vanilla extract and pour into baked crust. Cool in refrigerator for 2-3 hours to set.
- Before serving, swirl flavored whipped cream around the edges or cover the pie. Decorate by drizzling Bosco Chocolate Syrup on top or sprinkling on chocolate shavings.
Bosco Whipped Cream
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Bosco Original Chocolate or Sea Salt Caramel or Fudge Brownie Syrup
- Combine all ingredients and beat until mixture is the consistency of whipped cream. Spread over pie, fruit, or dollop into coffee.