How to Make the Ultimate Burger
May 25, 2015 04:42AM
● By Family Features
Grilling season is here, and that means burgers – the No. 1 grilled item in America – are on the menu at backyard cookouts and weeknight dinners across the country.
This summer, upgrade from a simple patty slathered with ketchup and mustard. Create mouthwatering burgers by seasoning the meat, then building with unique toppers and condiments like grilled avocado, mango slaw or lime mayo.
“My favorite burger recipe we developed uses the Grill Mates Smoky Ranchero Marinade to flavor the patty and south-of-the-border condiments like Cotija cheese and grilled avocado as toppers,” said Chef Kevan Vetter of the McCormick Kitchens. “When you press the bun down to smash it all together, the avocado, tangy mayo and cheese ooze out over juicy, flavorful meat.”
Southwestern Smoky Ranchero Burger with Grilled Avocado
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 package McCormick Grill Mates Smoky Ranchero Marinade, divided
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1 pound 80 percent lean ground beef
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- For lime mayonnaise, mix mayonnaise, lime juice and 1 teaspoon of the marinade mix in small bowl until well blended. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For stuffed avocado, halve and seed avocados. Carefully remove peel, leaving each half intact. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Mix cheese and tomato. Set aside.
- For burgers, mix ground beef and remaining marinade mix until well blended. Shape into 4 patties. Grill over medium heat 4-6 minutes per side or until burgers are cooked through (internal temperature of 160ºF). Grill avocado halves, cut-sides down, 30 seconds. Turn over avocadoes. Place 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture into each avocado half. Drizzle with hot sauce, if desired. Grill 4-5 minutes. Toast rolls on grill, open-side down, about 30 seconds.
- Serve burgers on rolls topped with stuffed avocados and onion slices. Press roll gently to smash stuffed avocado. Serve with lime mayonnaise.