Creating Healthy Habits Through Healthy Cooking: Sweet Potato Chili With Peanuts
Makes 10 servings (about
1 cup each)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced mild green chiles with liquid
- 4-6 tsp chili powder, to taste
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin, to taste
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a large, heavy pot, heat the canola oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, carrots, and bell peppers and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until vegetables are golden.
3. Add the garlic and sauté stirring constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in the sweet potatoes, peanuts, tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, chiles and their liquid, chili powder, cumin, and sugar.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low immediately and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are just tender.
5. Halfway through the cooking process, adjust the seasonings, adding more chili powder and cumin, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Courtesy of the American Institute for Cancer Research